Saturday, July 25, 2015

The Mud Fairy by Amy Young

My daughter just recently became obsessed with princesses and fairies. I don't know why I thought I could circumvent the inevitable. She told me she wants to be a princess when she grows up. I told her being a princess is boring because you always have to be polite and sit quietly and you can't fart really loudly. It's way cooler to be a Biologist. She was compelled by this argument. My friend took another approach. She told her daughter that princesses have to know a lot of stuff like science and math, and that her daughter would have to study really hard to earn the right to be a princess.

So, what I love about this book is that it enforces my friend's approach. The story has fairies that are pretty and can make rainbows and open flowers. But the protagonist is into frogs, that that earns her her wings too. A wonderful antidote to an inevitable obsession for little girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment